Friday, February 19, 2016

Goodbye. Thanks.





Today the world learned that Harper Lee, Pulitzer Prize winning author of To Kill A Mockingbird has passed away.  

When I was in junior high and high school I HAD TO read her novel several times.  I am pretty sure one of those times all I did was read the Cliff's Notes to jog my memory before a quiz.  I knew the basic idea of the story and who the characters were and that is all I needed.  I am sure I also passed any quizzes or tests relating to the book with a pretty good grade.  

Last summer, after decades of not hearing about Scout Finch and Maycomb, Alabama, publishers announced that there was a sequel to her novel.  I immediately wanted to read it (which I still haven't done), but decided that I would first need to read To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time in probably over 20 years.

I read through and became reacquainted with Scout, Jem, Dill, Boo, and Atticus.  What I didn't expect was to be moved to tears as Tom Robinson's story and trial were retold to me once again.  I was sad for his family and sad that his story still strikes a chord today.  If you haven't read this classic, please do so soon or pick it up for the first time in a long time.

After reading Ms. Lee's obituary by CNN (linked above), I learned a little more about her.  I had no idea Dill was modeled after Truman Capote and that she still lived in rural Alabama.  What inspired me the most was a quote from a rare interview.  I quickly wrote it down on my phone and I went ahead and added it above.  I loved the quote and thought, "Why can't I just see things the way Harper Lee sees it."  

I have been grappling with the idea of becoming a writer as of late.  I know I want to write, but I have no idea of where to start or what to really write about.  I am unsure of my skill level and if I really should be writing at all.  I have a few failed blogs, but still remain optimistic that I have something to offer the world.  This blog will be rough and it's subject matter will be determined not by a blog theme, but by my mood and inspiration at the moment. 

All I want to be is the Harper Lee of Texas.

Goodbye, Harper Lee and thanks for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment