Friday, April 22, 2016

"Can you make it rain harder?"




I must be getting older because the stars are fading.  Prince, THE musical icon, suddenly passed away yesterday.  I could probably sit here and type til' my fingers bled and still come up short.  

Once in a lifetime, once in a century, once for all time.  

Anybody can write a song.  Many can write a good song.  Very few can write something completely new.  Prince could tell a story lyrically and musically in a song that only last a few minutes but can stand the test of time over and over.  "Raspberry Beret" is one of my favorite songs of his lyrically. Read how he set up the characters in this story:

The male lead (Prince):
He told me several times that he didn't like my kind
'Cause I was a bit too leisurely
Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
But different than the day before

I mean, you KNOW this guy.  Probably young, hates his job, sitting around waiting for something better to happen.  Then she walks in and rocks his world.

The female lead (wearing that iconic beret):
That's when I saw her, ooh, I saw her 
She walked in through the out door, out door

With this one line you know what this girl is all about.  She doesn't follow the rules.  She does what she wants.  She just walked IN through the OUT door.  You go, girl!


Then there is his most iconic song.  The title track to his movie Purple Rain.  If you really listen to that song it is a song about love, but also friendship lost.  It is a rock/pop song, but seriously plays out like a church song.  It stirs up pain and longing.  That chorus feels like you could raise your hands up.  Preach!

Lastly, I'll leave you with a quote from the man himself.  
"I don't really care so much what people say about me because it is usually a reflection of who they are."  

Good night, Sweet Prince.

Read some more wise words HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment