Thursday, May 19, 2016

Original Character

If you are lucky, you will come across one of those spectacular people in your life.  A real unforgetable, original character.  Hector Delaunay was one of those people.  "Grandpa Hector", as most of us called him, was my sister-in-law's father.  My greatest memories of him are from when I was little, before my neices and nephews were born.  When my brother and sister-in-law would visit they would take me over to his house.  His backyard was a well-curated jungle.  He had all kinds of plants and fruit trees.  I remember once he took me for a walk out in the "jungle".  He pointed out and named different plants and trees and told stories.  I remember feeling a bit scared because it really did seem like a jungle to me with the sun peeking through the canopy of trees.  He often wore his cut-off jean shorts, light denim long sleeve shirt, and his white cowboy hat.  He always had a big smile, loud voice, and was a expert conversationalist.  He always had stories about his friends, family, or news from around town.  This is what I will always remember about him.


I saw him just a few months ago.  Old age caught with him, as it always does with most anyone.  His shoulders weren't as strong and his wardrobe was a bit more warm and comfortable.   However, his smile and love of conversation remained.   
Thank you, "Grandpa" Hector for the tours, the smiles, the stories, but mostly the reminders to live life big and fully.  

No comments:

Post a Comment